Inonotus obliquus or Chaga mushroom (Russian) is parasitic on birch and other trees. It is found mainly in the northern hemisphere. It is said to have medicinal properties and a taste resembling vanilla.
To use in a tea, the mushroom is ground to a powder and is brewed the same way as tea. Unlike tea, the powder can be used many times before it is depleted.
This is what you need
- A piece of Chaga mushroom, you don’t need much to make snus flavor.
- A knife or hammer to break it into smaller pieces.
- A mortar to atomize the Chaga.
- Alcohol, Preferably 100 proof or at least 40% alcohol. I use Absolut Vodka.
- A sieve or strainer
- A stove and a pot
The double extraction method
- Divide the Chaga into smaller pieces and use a mortar to atomize the pieces.
- Put all pieces in a glass jar of appropriate size.
- Pour alcohol over the pieces to cover all pieces. Preferably 100 proof or at least 40%. I use Absolut Vodka.
- Let the jar sit on a window sill for 2 months and shake the solution gently each day.
- Strain the alcohol and measure the amount, amt-1.
- Pour the double amount, amt-1, of water into a pot
- Put the Chaga pieces in the pot and let it simmer.
- When the water volume is equal to amt-1, let it cool overnight.
- The next day, add amt-1 of water and let it simmer down to amt-1 again.
- Let it cool overnight and repeat one more time.
- Strain the water and mix it with the alcohol from the first step.
- Now the tincture is ready and holds 20% alcohol strength.
With the double extraction, you get both the water-soluble and the alcohol-soluble substances and the alcohol makes the shelf life for the tincture almost infinite.
The Chaga that is left after the extraction you can use to make Chaga tea. Not as strong but still enjoyable.
Chaga dosage for snus
10 ml, 200 drops, of the tincture is enough to flavor 4 to 8 kg (8.8 to 17.6 lbs) Swedish snus. If you use 6 drops in 100 g (3.5 oz) snus, then 10 ml is enough for 5.5 kg snus.
Don’t flavor the whole batch in one go, start with 100 g and test out what is the best strength for you.
Supplement snus flavors for Chaga
The Chaga tincture can be supplemented with floral/sour flavor and possibly with a little vanilla. But the flavor is personal so you have to try what’s best for you.
Useful Chaga links
Leave a comment
What do you think of the Chaga tincture in Swedish snus? Do you like the taste? Do you use any other supplement flavors? Leave a comment and let me know your best Chaga recipe.
The Chaga picture By Tocekas - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7579174comments powered by Disqus