Growing tobacco is similar to growing tomatoes. It is not illegal to grow your own tobacco as long as you don’t intend to sell it. It will save you a lot of money if you have a craving for the n-vitamin.
If you are tired of giving your money to tax and big business you now have an alternative. If you learn how to grow your own tobacco you have full control of any additive you put into the tobacco.
You can read a list of the over 600 additives you can find in cigarettes here: Additives in cigarettes
The tobacco plant
The tobacco plant comes from the solanaceae family, the same family as potato, tomato, pepper and others. All having their origin in South America.
There are circa 60 different types of tobacco. For cigarettes, pipe and snus Virginia tobacco is the most commonly one used mixed with other types.
The Virginia tobacco is used as a base as it has a mild flavor and rather low in nicotine. To get another taste and nicotine content it is blended with other types of tobacco.
Growing tobacco is as easy as growing tomatoes
If you can grow tomatoes you can grow your own tobacco. But you have to start four to six weeks before the danger of frost is over. The tobacco plant don’t tolerate frost at all. In tropic conditions it can live for more than one year but here in Scandinavia it lives for one year only. But you can hibernate the plant inside during the winter. You need to add some artificial light during the dark months.
Growing tobacco – This is what you need to start
- Commercial seeding compost
- Tobacco seeds
- A tray with clear plastic cover
- A spray bottle
Growing tobacco – Planting the tobacco seeds
- Fill the tray with 50 to 100 mm (2 to 4 inch) of compost soil. Work out any hard lumps with your hands and even out the surface.
- Soak the soil with water and allow for the excess to drain off.
- The tobacco seeds are very tiny. Try to distribute them evenly over the soil. You can use a pipette to distribute the seeds. Don’t cover the seeds with soil, just press lightly with your hand. The seeds need the light to germinate.
- Spray the seeds with water.
- Cover the tray with a clear plastic cover to keep the moist and let the light inside.
- Place the tray in a warm sunny window, 20-25 C (68-77 F)
Remember to bookmark this site for updates on my progress on growing tobacco.
What is your experience on growing tobacco? Leave a comment and let me know.